Saturday, January 24, 2015

Scouting

Sometimes you have to invest a morning in hopes of finding a new place to fish for the future. This morning I got out with my buddy Ross to try and follow up on a couple of hunches even though this isn't the ideal time to hit this little freestone type streams. First spot required a bit of a hike, but the small canyon and overview of the valley sure made it worth it.


It doesn't look like much, but I've had good days on streams like this


Could be an interesting place to elk hunt...
Next spot looks like it could hold more water but access is going to be a problem. There's always coming in from the top where it's on National Forest, but I was really hoping to be able to get on the water fishing in less time. Oh well, it still looks promising. The next spot wasn't a new spot by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a place where I thought we might be able to get into some trout with the limited time we had. 


The cold sure makes some interesting ice formations on the stream
The fish didn't really want to play, though I did see a beaver and in the first moment thought it was the largest fish ever. Dang beavers. Had one hit all day and had the decent brown on for a few moments before he spit my Cheech Leech. Guess a day like this was a long time coming, but I think it'll lead to some great times this summer. It did feel good to get out after a week of fighting the flu. 

Hope you can get out, be safe, and enjoy nature.


-Kidder



No comments:

Post a Comment